Our Dental Blog
Posts for tag: veneers
Your dentist, Dr. Carol Cunningham, knows first hand how common it is for patients to want better-looking smiles. In response, her Decatur, IL, office offers veneers to help improve smile aesthetics!
More About Veneers
Veneers are made of thin porcelain and used to resurface an individual's teeth, especially if they're damaged. They fix a variety of issues, such as:
- Stained or discolored teeth, usually a result of drinking coffee/tea, poor oral hygiene, smoking, chewing tobacco, or taking tetracycline-containing medications.
- Misshapen teeth including crooked, overcrowded, and irregularly shaped teeth.
What Veneers Fix
- Tooth Color
- Size & Shape
- Alignment & Spacing
When you first come into the Decatur office, your doctor will examine your teeth and assess whether veneers are right for you. If they decide that you are a good candidate, then they'll first deal with any underlying issues, such as cavities, first.
Your dentist will then take an impression of your teeth and send it to a lab where a custom set of veneers matching the color of your teeth will be made for you.
Your dentist will then remove some enamel from the surface of your teeth before cementing the veneers. This is done so that you don't feel like your teeth are protruding. Consequently, your new veneers will feel smooth and properly aligned with the rest of your teeth!
In order to take proper care of your veneers, you need to brush twice a day and floss at least once before bed. Changing your toothbrush when it's frayed is also important to ensure that your teeth are properly cleaned. Furthermore, you should make sure to drink plenty of water and eat healthy food like carrots that scrape teeth clean.
Give Us a Call!
For more information on veneers, contact our Decatur office by calling (217) 422-7448. We will be more than happy to help you with your dental needs!
Are you interested in getting veneers?
Your dentist understands the importance of having a beautiful smile. Dr. Carol Cunningham at Gentle Art of Dentistry in Decatur, IL assess your teeth to make sure there aren't any serious problems like cavities. If there are cavities, she will need to clean them out and seal them.
Afterwards, she will remove some enamel off the surface of your teeth and place the porcelain veneers, which are basically thin shells. The veneers will fit evenly along your teeth because they are custom made and the enamel removed makes way for them.
The veneers you decide to have placed are a great way to conceal unappealing issues:
- They hide stained and/or discolored teeth, which aren't attractive anymore because of poor habits like smoking, chewing tobacco, drinking tea or coffee, and eating heavily pigmented foods. Even some antibiotics, such as tetracycline, may cause teeth to become discolored.
- Another issue people suffer from and want to conceal is mishappened teeth like worn or chipped teeth, uneven surfaces, crooked teeth, uneven spacing, like overcrowdedness, and irregularly shaped teeth.
- Veneers are also great for concealing dents, cracks and fractures, and grooves on the surface of your teeth that may have been caused by trauma.
While the process is simple and non-invasive, removing enamel is a permanent decision. So make sure you speak to your Decatur dentist.
Also, keeping up with your healthy oral regimen will help keep your smile intact for as long as possible. So brush twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening. Make sure to brush for two whole minutes and angle your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle. Flossing should also be a part of your dental care. Floss at least once before bed and don't miss your bi-annual checkups with your dentist.
If you're interested in veneers and have questions for Dr. Carol Cunningham, then call you Decatur, IL, dentist today! Your smile and health are important.